In our weekly Trends that Matter series, we provide engaging infographics from healthcare influencers to highlight general trends affecting the pharmaceutical industry. This week's featured topic is prescription pricing.
In most cases, the following companies are involved in the drug development, distribution, and pricing process:
- Pharma companies who develop and make drugs
- Wholesalers that distribute drugs to pharmacies and hospitals
- Pharmacies that dispense medications to customers
- PBMs who negotiate with drug companies and payers to get rebates
- Health insurers that help consumers pay for medications
In the graphic below, Skye Gould, graphic designer at Business Insider, gives an example of the medication payment process.
Subscribe to the MMIT blog for more insights on trends affecting pharmaceutical manufacturers, providers and payers.